A Fragment in Universe Sandbox is a simulated object that is too small to have a significant gravitational effect on other objects. Fragments are produced by processes like collisions, Roche fragmentation, and friction fragmentation, and are also used to represent smaller Solar System objects.
The properties panel for a Fragment object will include the following tabs:
Fragment objects have the following characteristics:
- They are non-attracting objects, meaning that they do not exert a gravitational force on other objects in the simulation.
- They are attracted objects, meaning that they feel the effects of gravity from other attracting objects in the simulation.
- They have no calculated orbital elements, and their orbit will not be displayed.
- They can collide with other objects.
- They have a single Surface Temperature rather than a two-dimensional simulation of temperature across the surface.